Natalya Hughes is a Brisbane based artist whose practice is concerned with decorative and ornamental traditions and their associations with the feminine, the body and excess.
Recent bodies of work investigate the relationship between Modernist painters and their anonymous women subjects. Hughes completed a Bachelor of Visual Arts at the Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane in 2001 and a PhD in Art Theory at the College of Fine Art (UNSW) in 2009.
She currently lectures in Fine Art and Expanded Practice at the Queensland College of Art, Brisbane.
Hughes has exhibited her work at numerous museums and institutions including Queensland Art Gallery|Gallery of Modern Art (2019, 2017 and 2012), QUT Art Museum Brisbane (2016), Artspace Sydney (2016), Hazelhurst Regional Gallery (2015), Performance Space (2012), Parliament House Canberra (2014), UQ Art Museum, Brisbane (2010), Ian Potter Museum of Art, Melbourne (2009) and Tarrawarra Museum of Art, VIC (2006).
Hughes was a finalist in both the Sulman Prize at Art Gallery of NSW and the National Works on Paper Prize at Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery in 2018, as well as the 2017 Ramsay Art Prize at Art Gallery of South Australia.
Natalya Hughes is represented by Milani Gallery, Brisbane and Sullivan + Strumpf, Sydney.
- PhD Art Theory/ Art History and Fine Arts, College of Fine Arts, UNSW, Sydney.
- Bachelor of Arts, Visual Arts, Honours (1st Class), QUT, Brisbane.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- The Interior (touring), Logan Art Gallery, Queensland; Warwick Art Gallery, Queensland (upcoming)
- The Artist's Hands, Milani Gallery, Brisbane
- The Interior, Institute of Modern Art, Brisbane
- Maybe I was painting the woman in me, Milani Gallery, Brisbane
- The Landscape is in the Woman, Sullivan + Strumpf, Sydney
- All of Your Women and Some of Mine, Milani Gallery, Brisbane
- Woody, The Garage ARI, Canberra
- girls girls girls, Firstdraft, Sydney
- Looking Thrice, Milani Gallery, Brisbane
- Looking Full, Beam Contemporary, Melbourne
- Significant Men, Milani Gallery, Brisbane, Australia.
- Party Pooper, DB Projects, Sydney, Australia.
- There Is Something Missing From Your Magic Realism, Beam Contemporary, Melbourne.
- Totem Totem, Milani Gallery, Brisbane.
- Floppy, Substation Gallery, Singapore
- Back and Forth, Milani Gallery, Brisbane.
- Little Birds, Neon Parc, Melbourne.
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Archibald, Wynne and Sulman Prizes 2022, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney
- Know My Name: Australian Woman Artists 1900 to Now, National Gallery of Australia, Canberra
- New Woman, Museum of Brisbane, Brisbane
- Sunshine Coast Art Prize, Caloundra Regional Gallery, Caloundra, Queensland
- Archibald, Wynne and Sulman Prizes, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney
- Patternation, Hazelhurst Regional Gallery, Sutherland, NSW
- Quarternary, QUT Art Museum, Brisbane
- An Imprecise Science, Artspace, Sydney
- Office Work, Parliament House, Canberra, Australia
- I Miss You More When it Rains, Dog Park Project Space, Christchurch, New Zealand
- December Letters, Orgy Park, Bushwick, NY, USA
- Speak to Me, Sullivan + Strumf, Sydney
- ANIMAL/HUMAN, UQ Art Museum, Brisbane.
- Contemporary Australia: Women, Queensland Gallery of Modern Art, Brisbane.
- The James Souris Collection, Queensland Gallery of Modern Art, Brisbane.
- New Psychadelia, UQ Art Museum, Brisbane.
- Painting Group, Utopian Slumps, Melbourne.
- Zen to Kawaii: The Japanese Effect, QUT Art Museum, Brisbane.
- The Shilo Project, Ian Potter Museum of Art, Melbourne.
- Creative Australia and the Ballet Russes, Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne.
- New, UQ Art Museum, Brisbane.
- Neo Goth, UQ Art Museum, Brisbane.
- Too Near Too Far, Care/ Of Contemporary Art Space, Milan, Italy.
- Parallel Lives: TarraWarra Painting Biennale, TarraWarra Museum of Art, Victoria.
- Prime: New Art from Queensland, Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane.
- Object/Subject, Museum of Brisbane, Brisbane.
- A Cut Across, Plimsoll Gallery, University of TAS, Hobart, Australia.
- The Australian Drawing Biennale, ANU Drill Hall, Canberra, Australia.
- 2004: Australian Culture Now, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne.
- Costume and Memory: Natalya Hughes & Elizabeth Lamont, QUT Art Museum, Brisbane.
Awards & Prizes
- FLOW, National Contemporary Watercolour Prize, Wollongong Art Gallery, New South Wales
- Sir John Sulman Prize, Art Gallery of New South Wales (finalist)
- Michaela and Adrian Fini Fellowship, The Sheila Foundation
- Finalist, Sunshine Coast Art Prize, Caloundra Regional Gallery, Caloundra, Queensland
- Finalist, Sir John Sulman Prize, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney
- Arts Victoria International Program: Export and Touring Grant.
- Art Incubator and GCAS Art Residency, Singapore
- Finalist, ABN Amro Art Award.
- Finalist, ABN Amro Art Award.
- Gertrude Contemporary Art Space Studio Residency
- Australian Postgraduate Award
- Shortlisted, John McCaughey Memorial Prize, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
- Melville Haysom Scholarship and Residency, Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane.
- MetroArts Residency, MetroArts, Brisbane.
Studios & Residencies
- Open Studio, Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art, Brisbane
- Ash, Romy, ‘Drawn Together’, Frankie Magazine, No.27, Jan-Feb 2009.
- Badiou, Alain, Concept of the Model: An Introduction to the Materialist Epistemology of Mathematics, cover image, Re.Press, 2007.
- The Rational Kernel of the Hegelian Dialectic, cover image, Re.Press, 2011.
- Brand, S. & Cuyler, Amanda, Summer, Brand and Cuyler, 2004.
- Crawford, Ashley,’Parallel Lives: Australian Painting Today’, Art & Australia, Vol. 44, No. 2, 2006.
- Gobe, Claire, ‘Other Paintings: Natalya Hughes’, Eyeline Magazine, No. 52, 2003.
- Gellatly, Kelly, ‘Fast-Forward Painting’, 2004: Australian Culture Now, National Gallery of Victoria and The Australian Centre for the Moving Image, 2004.
- Goddard, Angela, Natalya Hughes, catalogue essay, Metroarts, 2002.
- ‘Artist Profile: Natalya Hughes’, Artichoke, No. 25, 2008.
- Harrington, Zoe & Hughes, Natalya, ‘Interview’, Sculpture and the Enemies, Big Owl Publishing, No. 2, 2012.
- Helmrich, Michelle, ‘Natalya Hughes: Rewriting Seduction’, 2004 Australian Drawing Biennale Catalogue, Drill Hall Gallery, 2004.
- Hibberd, Lily, The Punctiform Arabesque, Gertrude Contemporary Art Space, 2007.
- Hickey, Gary, ‘Natalya Hughes: A Pernicious Beauty’, New, UQ Art Museum, 2008.
- Moody, Sebastian, ‘Psychedelia Now’, Art & Australia, Vol. 49, No. 4, Winter 2012.
- Morrel, Timothy, ;Smart Art: Natalya Hughes’, Australia Art Collector, No. 26, 2003.
- Richards, Bree, ‘Emerging Artists: The Current Crop’, Ten Years of Contemporary Art: The James Souris Collection, Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art, 2011.
- ‘Natalya Hughes’, Contemporary Australia: Women, Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art, 2012.
- Rainbird, Stephen, ‘Natalya Hughes’, A Generosity of Spirit: Recent Australian Women’s Art
- from the QUT Art Collection, QUT Art Museum, 2010.
- Souris, James C, The James C. Souris Collection: Selected Works, The Brisbane Club’s Collector’s Series, 2010.
- Stein, Amelia, ‘Women of Substance’, Vogue Magazine Australia, May 2012.
- TarraWarra Museum of Art. Parallel Lives: Australian Painting Today, 2006.
- The Lifted Brow, cover image, No. 10, 2010 - 11.
- Tonkin, Steven, ‘In the Wings’, Creative Australia and the Ballet Russes, Arts Centre Trust. 2009.
- Neo Goth: Back in Black, UQ Art Museum, 2008.
- Queensland Art Gallery
- UQ Art Museum
- QUT Art Museum
- Art Bank AustraliaCorporate and private collections.
2001 - 05
- Co-founder and contributor to Local Art, a print and online publication.