Hoda Afshar was born in Tehran, Iran (1983), and is now based in Melbourne, Australia. She completed a Bachelor degree in Fine Art– Photography in Tehran, and her PhD thesis in Creative Arts at Curtin University.
Hoda began her career as a documentary photographer in Iran in 2005, and since 2007 she has been living in Australia where she practices as a visual artist and also lectures in photography and fine art. Hoda is represented by Milani Gallery in Brisbane, Australia.
Through her art practice, Hoda explores the nature and possibilities of documentary image-making. Working across photography and moving-image, she considers the representation of gender, marginality and displacement. In her work, she employs processes that disrupt traditional image-making practices, play with the presentation of imagery, or merge aspects of conceptual, staged and documentary photography.
Hoda’s work has been widely exhibited both locally and internationally and published online and in print. Her work is also part of numerous private and public collections including the National Gallery of Victoria, UQ Art Museum, MUMA Collection, Murdoch University Art Collection, Art Gallery of Western Australia and Monash Gallery of Art. Throughout her career, Hoda has been shortlisted for many prestigious art awards, and in 2015 she won Australia’s National Photographic Portrait Prize and in 2018 won Bowness Photography Prize. She was also selected as one of the top eight young Australian artists to exhibit at Primavera 2018 at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney. Hoda is a member of ‘Eleven’, a new collective of contemporary Muslim Australian artists, curators and writers whose aim is to disrupt the current politics of representation and hegemonic discourses.
- PhD candidate- Creative Arts, Curtin University of Technology, WA, Australia
- Fine Art Diploma (Photography/Sculpture), Meadowbank TAFE College, Sydney, Australia
- Photojournalism Essential, UTS (University of Technology), Australian Centre for Independent Journalism, Sydney, Australia
- Bachelor of Fine Art (Photography) with First Class Honours- Azad University of Art and Architecture – Tehran, Iran
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- 'Agonistes', Commissioned for PHOTO 2021 Festival of Photography, Melbourne, Australia
- 'Remain', Wagga Wagga Art Gallery, Victoria, Australia
- 'Remain', UQ Art Museum, Brisbane, Australia
- ‘Remain', Mansions of the Future, Lincoln, UK
- 'Behold', Perth Centre for Contemporary Photography
- ‘Behold', Mars Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
'Behold', Horsham Regional Art Gallery in partnership with the Centre of Contemporary Photography, Horsham, Victoria
- 'Behold', Centre for Contemporary Photography, Melbourne, Australia
- ‘In the exodus, I love you more’, Wallflower Photomedia Gallery, Mildura Art Centre, Australia
- ‘In the exodus, I love you more’, curated with Pippa Milne, Brightspace Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
- 'Fables of Change', curated by Alasdair Foster, 'Month of Photography in Minsk' an international festival of photography in Belarus
- 'Under Western Eyes', Edmund Pearce Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
- 'In-Between Spaces', curated by Alasdair Foster, Krasnodar Institute of Contemporary Art, PhotoVisa International Festival of Photography, Krasnodar, Russia
- 'In-Between Spaces', Edmund Pearce Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
- 'In-Between Spaces', Pingyao International Photography Festival, China
- ‘In-Between Spaces', Mori Gallery, Sydney, Australia
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Soul Fury, Bendigo Art Gallery, Curated by Nur Shkembi, Bendigo, Australia
- WE CHANGE THE WORLD, Curated by Katharina Prugger, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
- IN PROGRESS: Laia Abril - Hoda Afshar - Widline Cadet - Adama Jalloh - Alba Zari, Curated by Aaron Schuman, Bristol Photo Festival, UK
- Ramsay Art Prize 2021 (finalist), Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide
- GETXOPHOTO Festival of Photography, Curated by Jon Uriarte, Basque Country
- TRUST at f/stop Festival of Photography, Curated by Susan Bright und Nina Strand, Leipzig, Germany
- 'REFRACTED REALITY', Curated by Anna Louise Richardson, Perth Institute of Contemporary Art, Australia
- Group exhibition with Santiago Sierra, Darren Siwes and James Tylor, GAGPROJECTS, Adelaide, Australia
- ‘Burning World’, Bendigo Art Gallery, Victoria, Australia
- 'f_OCUS', a selection of works by women from the Moreland Art Collection, Counihan Gallery, Melbourne
- 'Interrogating the Borders Between Us', The Physics Room, Christchurch, NZ
- 'Between the Sun and the Moon', Lahore Biennale (LB02), Curated by Hoor Al Qasimi, Lahore, Pakistan
- CIVILIZATION: THE WAY WE LIVE NOW, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
- REMEDY FOR RAGE, Women in Film and Photography, Objectifs, Singapore
- THE END/FUTURE OF HISTORY, Curated by Phuong Ngo, Presented with HYPHENATED PROJECTS as part of DUE WEST FESTIVAL, The Substation Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
- 'The Shouting Valley', Gus Fisher Gallery, Auckand, NZ
- Eros, group exhibition, Foxjenssen Gallery, Sydney
- Beyond Place: Australian Contemporary Photography, Museum of Photographic Arts, San Diego CA, USA
- ‘National Anthem 2019', Buxton Contemporary, Melbourne, Australia
- 'Eyes on Australia', part of ‘Eyes on Main Street’ international photography festival, curated by Lucy Stranger, North Carolina, USA
- 'In Her Words', Curated by Olivia Poloni, Horsham Regional Art Gallery, Victoria, Australia
- A selection of Portraits from 'Remain' on the billboards of The SUBSTATION Gallery, presented by Hyphenated Projects, Melbourne, Australia
- 'Just not Australian', Artspace, Sydney
- PRIMAVERA 2018: Young Australian Artists, Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney, Australia
- Curating ARTBAR November, Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney, Australia
- The Josephine Ulrick and Win Schubert Photography Award, HOTA, Gold Coast, Australia
- William and Winifred Bowness Photography Prize, Monash Gallery of Art, Melbourne, Australia
- All We Can’t See: Illustrating the Nauru Files, Fortyfivedownstairs, Melbourne
- The Inner Apartment, Nishi Gallery, Canberra, Australia
- LEGACY+… collecting contemporary Hoda Afshar | Pat Brassington | David Rosetzky, curated by Anouska Phizacklea, Monash Gallery of Art (MGA), Melbourne
- Khalas, Curated by Phillip George & Nur Shkembi, UNSW Galleries, Sydney, Australia
- The Art of Collecting, Centre for Contemporary Photography, Melbourne, Australia
- Waqt al tagheer: Time of Change, curated by Abdul-Rahman Abdullah & Nur Shkembi, ACE Open, Adelaide, Australia
- 'Photography & Place' slideshow, curated by Wawi Navarroza, Angkor Photo Festival, Cambodia
- William and Winifred Bowness Photography Prize, Monash Gallery of Art, Melbourne, Australia
- A Whole Different Animal, curated by Ros Winkler, Brightspace Gallery, Melbourne
- The Witching Hour, Centre for Contemporary Photography, Melbourne, Australia
- Instagram's #MyStoryAus exhibition, the voices of fifteen female storytellers in Australia, Melbourne
- Obscura Festival, ‘Belonging’, group exhibition of Australian photography, curated by Daniel Boetker-Smith, Penang, Malaysia
- Gaffa Photo Festival, ‘Victory’, curated by Christine McFetridge, Sydney, Australia
- Australian Photobook of the Year Awards, Photobook Melbourne, Boyd School Studios, Melbourne, Australia
- Josephine Ulrick and Win Schubert Photography Award, Open Finalist,Gold Coast Art Centre, Queensland, Australia
- National Photographic Portrait Prize, Canberra, Australia
- Double Vision, curated by Konrad Winkler, Brightspace Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
- Group exhibition, Brunswick Street Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
- Josephine Ulrick and Win Schubert Photography Award, open finalist, Gold Coast Art Centre, Queensland, Australia
- Mirror Mirror, curated by Linsey Gosper, Colour Factory Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
- Sub One Thousand, Edmund Pearce Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
- Group exhibition, Mori Gallery, Sydney, Australia
- Moran Contemporary Photographic Prize, finalist, Bridge Street Gallery, Sydney, Australia
- Alight, Melody Smith Gallery, Perth, Australia
- Images of Rapid Change, Tink Tank, Curtin University (co-curator/ coordinator, participant), WA, Australia
- Uncover, PCP (Perth Centre For Photography), Perth, Australia
- Staffroom Show, Moores Building, Fremantle, Western Australia
- The Carnival, Mori Gallery, Sydney, Australia
- Greetings from Warburton: A group show of international and Aboriginal artists, Mori Gallery, Sydney, Australia
- National Gallery of Victoria
- UQ Art Museum
- Murdoch University Art Collection
- Deakin University Art Collection
- Monash Gallery of Art
- Private art collections in Australia and outside including; Singapore, Paris, NYC, Berlin, NZ and Iran.
Selected Awards and Grants
- Recipient of the Sidney Myer Creative Fellowships for outstanding talent and exceptional courage
- Ramsay Art Prize 2021, Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide, People's Choice Award, Winner
- ACME Residency in London, Australian Council for the Arts
- Career Development Grant, Australian Council for the Arts
- Prix Prictet, The global award in photography and sustainability, Nominee
- Olive Cotton Award for Photographic Portraiture, Finalist
- 208: William and Winifred Bowness Photography Prize, Sotheby's Australia People's Choice Award, Winner
- The Josephine Ulrick and Win Schubert Photography Award, Finalist
- William and Winifred Bowness Photography Prize, Winner
- Shortlisted for Young Artist Award, Melbourne Art Foundation
- William and Winifred Bowness Photography Prize, Finalist
- Foam Paul Huf Award, Nominee
- The Pool Grant, Finalist
- Australian Photobook of the Year Awards, Finalist
- Josephine Ulrick and Win Schubert Photography Award, Finalist
- National Photographic Portrait Prize, Winner
- Josephine Ulrick and Win Schubert Photography Award, Finalist
- Moran Contemporary Photographic Prizes, Finalist
- Australian Postgraduate Award, Office of Research and Development/ Curtin University of Technology
- Artflight grant, Department of Culture and the Arts, WA, Australia
- Winner of a prize and acknowledgment from the Third Kaveh Golestan Documentary Photography Award, Tehran, Iran
- Winner of ‘World Press Photo’ Educational Training Programme Contest, Tehran, Iran
- Speak the Wind reviewed by Jorg Colberg on Conscientious Photography Magazine;
- Speak the Wind reviewed in the Autumn 2021 issue of ArtReview Asia by Neha Kale;
- Speak the Wind, book review by Taous R.Dahmani for 1000 Words Magazine;
- MICHAEL GRIEVE on SPEAK THE WIND for the British Journal of Photography
- Featured in The Age: Hoda Afshar has won the 2021 Ramsay Art Award’s people’s choice prize;
- Featured in ABC News, Hoda Afshar documents Australian government whistleblowers in new photography and film project: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-06/hoda-afshar-documents-australian-government-whistleblowers-photo/13210836
- Interview with Namila Benson onThe Art Show, ABC Radio National: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/the-art-show/hoda-afshar-clarice-beckett/13184728
- 'Agonistes' featured in The Guardianhttps://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/feb/10/from-behrouz-boochani-to-bernard-collaery-photographer-hoda-afshar-turns-her-lens-on-whistleblowers
- 'Agonistes' featured in Trigger#2:Uncertainty, Guest edited by Max Pinckers & Michiel de Cleene, Essay by Wim Vandekerckhove https://fomu.be/trigger/articles/trigger-2-uncertainty-is-out-1
- Nearest Truth, Ep. 47. Hoda Afshar & Hannah Darabi & Brad Feuerhelm https://nearesttruth.com/episodes/ep-47-a-conversation-with-hoda-afshar-hannah-darabi/
- In conversation with Megan Robson for Artist Voice, Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney, Australia
- Featured in NGV Magazine, Artist Profile, Issue 22 May-June
- Included on Collecteurs's Substance 100 list of the top artists and activists contributing to global change https://www.collecteurs.com/interview/substance-100
- Featured on Ocula Magazine, Lahore Biennale 02: Past Reminders, Possible Futures by Qalandar Memon: https://ocula.com/magazine/reports/second-lahore-biennale-pakistan/?fbclid=IwAR2zeOjWe4BSkg--WOhS1Sgkwx5GM9WNxDQWeg7YnCrk4J9BjGhivDqDPzU
- Featured in Collecteurs, A Conversation Between Hoda Afshar and Behrouz Boochani; https://www.collecteurs.com/interview/a-conversation-between-hoda-afshar-and-behrouz-boochani
- Remain featured on Firecracker: https://www.fire-cracker.org/2...
- Bronwyn Watson, review of 'Remain' at UQ Art Museum Subverting the idyllic with tales of desperation, The Australian; https://www.theaustralian.com....
- Colin Pantall, Hoda Afshar, the individual, and their story, World Press Photo; https://witness.worldpressphot...
- PHMuseum, Featured as one of the 12 Women Photographers to Watch in 2019; https://phmuseum.com/news/12-w...
- Karen Green, 'Pictures of A Thousand Silences', Curtin University; https://news.curtin.edu.au/sto...
- In conversation with Omar Sakr, Liminal Magazine #86; https://www.liminalmag.com/int...
- 'Untold Stories', an essay by Tai Mitsuki on 'Remain', featured in Vault Magazine, Issue 25
- Essay by Andy Butler on 'Remain' featured in Artguide Australia, Issue 117
- Interview/feature on AJ+, news and current events channel by Al Jazeera
- Essay by Naomi Cass on 'Remain', Primavera 2018 catalogue
- Primavera 2018 reviewed in Art Almanac by Eleanor Zeichner: https://www.art-almanac.com.au...
- Primavera 2018 reviewed by Andy Butler in The Monthly: https://www.themonthly.com.au/...
- Interview/Article on The Guardian, From Manus Island to Sanctions on Iran: the art and opinions of Hoda Afshar; https://www.theguardian.com/ar...
- Artist Profile, The Saturday Paper, Hoda Afshar's Lens on Manus; https://www.thesaturdaypaper.c...
- Featured on 'Cordite', a Journal of Literature, Art & Poetry: http://cordite.org.au/artworks...
- Interview on 3RRR Radio_SmartArts with Richard Watts
- Interview on ABC Radio National_The Hub on Art with Eddie Ayres, http://www.abc.net.au/radionat...
- Interview & Feature, ABC News, http://www.abc.net.au/news/201...
- 2018: "Khalas' exhibition at UNSW Galleries, interview, SBS World News, https://www.sbs.com.au/news/au...
- 'Behold' series featured in The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/ar...
- Waqt al-tagheer: Time of Change reviewed by Cher Tan on Conversations-Runway: http://conversations.runway.or... al-tagheer: Time of change by collective 'eleven' featured in Artforum as a Critics Pick, reviewed by Eugenio Viola: https://www.artforum.com/picks...
- Waqt al-tagheer reviewed on Adelaide Review, by John Neylon, https://www.adelaidereview.com...
- Review & feature, The Conversation, by Christine Judith Nicholls, https://theconversation.com/wa... & feature, Broadsheet Adelaide, by by Daniela Frangos, https://www.broadsheet.com.au/...
- Published in Splash & Grab magazine, words by Clare Hewitt, Issue #4, London
- Featured in British Journal of Photography, interview/words by Daniel Boetker-Smith, Invisible World, Issue 7863, London
- Featured in Fisheye Photobook, Vol.1, Published by Be Contents, France
- Feature and Interview, Where About Now, online magazine of art and culture, http://www.whereaboutnow.com/0...
- Featured on Aint-Bad magazine of photography, USA: https://www.aint-bad.com/artic...
- Interview by Guille Lasarte, PANTA: magazine of creative culture & activism, Issue 10, Berlin, Germany
- Featured on GUP magazine, Netherlands: http://www.gupmagazine.com/por...
- Featured on THISISPAPER online journal of design and photography, Poland: http://thisispaper.com/hoda-af...
- Featured on Der Greif-Organization for Contemporary Photography, Augsburg, Germany: https://dergreif-online.de/art...
- Featured and reviewed by Marina Trancosoon on Impressa Magazine: photography made by women, Berlin: http://www.impressamag.com/in-...
- Interview and feature on Fisheye online journal of photography, France https://www.fisheyemagazine.fr...
- Featured on iGNANT online journal of art and photography, Berlin http://www.ignant.de/2016/09/0...
- Featured on Adventure Handbook online magazine, Australia http://theadventurehandbook.co...
- Der Greif Magazine, Issue #9, Germany2016: Common Ground Journal, Interview by Anita Tota, Issue 5, Home Sweet Home, http://www.commongroundjournal...
- Clans, a publication by Fields Magazine, Berlin, Germany
- Interview/Review Written by Alison Stieven-Taylor, ‘Hoda Afshar/Under Western Eyes’, L’Oeil de la Photographie Magazine, http://www.loeildelaphotograph...
- Dr. Marcus Bunyan, Review: ‘Hoda Afshar/ Under Western Eyes’ at Edmund Pearce Gallery, Art Blart,http://artblart.com/2014/04/13...
- Alasdair Foster, "IN SEARCH OF PARADISE", Featured Artist, Cultural Development Consulting, http://culturaldevelopmentcons...
- Emil Canita interviews Hoda Afshar, Lucida Queensland Centre for Photography's online journal, http://lucidamagazine.com/?p=1...
- BETA - Developments in Photography Online Journal, Issue 02, http://beta.org.au/
- 'The Carnival', Light Journeys Gallery: exhibiting women photographers of Australia
- Maya Rose Chauhan interviews Hoda Afshar, Grok Magazine, Issue #42011: Simon Cox, "Notes on the 'Alight' Exhibition", Catalogue essay, Melody Smith Gallery, Perth, Australia, http://melodysmithgallery.com/...
- 2011: Darren Jorgensen, "Diverse Art of Identity", The West Australian, Saturday 14th April